Your ideas, projects, opinions - podcasted.
New episodes Monday through Friday.
on 2022-08-08 00:00:00
Importance of Small toy projects
My recommendation for learning a new language.
- Think about a small problem you want to solve with code.
- Start banging away at it.
- Redo over and over, its OK
- Same project but better
- Learn new tech and practice
An example of one of my small projects
- Original intent of my podfaded project
- Mostly Tech/Linux podcasts
- Find every podcast I could
- Track release cadence
- Rate how podfaded the feed is
- Use search API to find RSS feeds
First attempt plan
- Scrape podcast networks
- used beautiful soup - something I wanted to learn anyway
- Jinja templating - something I wanted to learn anyway
- Bootstrap - something I wanted to learn anyway
- Different colors based on how podfaded
First attempt problems
- individual script per network
- 4-5 different scripts
- took forever to run
- Broke when networks changed their page layout
- Test Driven Development and pytest
- Red Green Refactor
- Confidence to change code
- Simplify - one scrapper script
- Embed audio player for latest episode
How it works - Scraping pages for feeds
- Provide a list of websites that have lists of podcasts
- Search the page for any links
- Check if the feed is valid by trying to parse it with
- Add feed to database
Podcasts pages I scrape
How it works - Checking the feeds
- loop through feeds
feedparser to find latest episode
- title and enclosure (audio file)
- Sometimes the title is missing, so some of the CSS coloring doesn't work
- Excluded podcasts still occasionally show up on the list
- Looking for more curated lists of podcast pages
- Maybe scrape HPR podcast recommendation episodes
Unless otherwise stated, our shows are released under a Creative Commons
Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported (CC BY-SA 3.0) license.
The HPR Website Design is released to the Public Domain.